Capcom is a developer, publisher, and distributor of video games, known for creating classic titles like Street Fighter II and Resident Evil. The company originally focused on developing arcade games, but gradually grew into other areas such as home video game consoles.
Recently the company has become one of the world’s most prominent video game publishers. Here is a short history, inception, evolution, awards, achievements and net worth of Capcom.
Capcom was founded in 1979 by Kenzo Tsujimoto with money he earned importing Nintendo arcade cabinets. The company originally focused on developing arcade games, but gradually grew into other areas such as home video game consoles. Recently the company has become one of the world’s most prominent video game publishers.
Capcom’s international offices which are its headquarters are located in Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan. The company also owns several subsidiaries in North America, Europe, and East Asia.
Capcom Company has enjoyed success over the years through developing many different types of games across many platforms. How have they done this for so long? It’s because their approach to game development is always to “surprise” players with new things they haven’t seen before. They also have a strong “do what you are good at” philosophy that allows them to create games even when it’s not their specialty!
As a developer, publisher, and distributor of video games, Capcom’s success is largely due to the philosophy of “surprising” players with new things they haven’t seen before. This philosophy has helped them develop games across multiple platforms, even when it’s not their specialty.
For example, Capcom created an impressive fighting game called Street Fighter II in 1991. The company’s fighting games have been wildly popular since then. But the success didn’t stop there; they went on to create many successful titles like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter.
Capcom has always been focused on providing people with “surprising” games. One of their most famous games is Resident Evil 2, which was released in 1998. The game sold 4.96 million copies globally and Capcom made back the money they invested in the game within six months.
Resident Evil 2 is well known for being a survival horror game with complex puzzles and strong story lines. It also led to many other franchises, such as Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Resident Evil Zero, and Resident Evil 4.
Capcom Company has released many games over the years, but these are just a few of their most popular titles:
- Street Fighter II – One of Capcom’s most famous games. It was originally released in 1991 and is still loved by gamers today.
- Resident Evil – Another classic game that is still loved by gamers today. Resident Evil was first released in 1996 and is often called the game that defined survival horror.
- Monster Hunter- A series of action role-playing video games made by Capcom, with the most recent title Monster Hunter World, which was released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 26th, 2018.
- Devil May Cry- Devil May Cry 5 will be the fifth installment of this popular video game franchise available on March 8th, 2019.
Awards and Achievements of Capcom
In the past, Capcom has been recognized with the following several awards due to the success it has had in the gaming industry. Some of the awards they have received include the following:
- 1977 – Arcade Game of the Year Award for Street Fighter II
- 1991 – Best video game producer award at the Game Developers Choice Awards
- 2007 – Best Selling Game on Wii for Resident Evil 4
- 2008 – Greatest Hits Award for Resident Evil 2
- 2008 – Platinum Prize for Biohazard 4
- 2010 – Platinum Prize for Dead Rising 2
- 2011 – Best Action Adventure Game from E3 Golden Joystick Awards for Dead Rising 2: Off The Record
- 2012 – Most Valuable Companies from Nikkei Business Publications, Inc. for Capcom Co., Ltd.
Net Worth of Capcom in 2023
As of June 2023 Capcom company has an estimated net worth of $5 Billion. This is from the fortunes the company has made through the production of video games. Becoming one of the best game developers in the world, its games has become popular and hence earning much popularity. It has made sales at high levels which have highly contributed to their net worth.
Capcom Co., Ltd. is a Japanese video game development and publishing company headquartered in Osaka. Founded in 1979, it co-developed the Street Fighter series of fighting games, starting with Street Fighter II in 1991. Since then, it has created many games for the series. The company, which is headquartered in Osaka, owns subsidiaries in North America, Europe, and East Asia.
In addition to their much collaboration on Street Fighter, Capcom has developed games in a wide variety of genres. The company is well known for its Resident Evil series, Devil May Cry series and Mega Man series of action-adventure games, and it has also created puzzle games like Puyo Puyo and Tetris (marketed outside Japan as Dr. Mario).
The company is one of the largest publishers of video games in Japan, and is also the third most prolific publisher of video games (excluding free-to-play) in the United States.